Sunday 13 October 2013

Korea War Memorial in Seoul

In August, Leanne Schulz and I visited the War Memorial of Korea - an amazing memorial to Koreans who have fought in wars, and to the people of many countries who fought in the Korean War.

We focused on the Korea War rooms (it's a BIG place!!) and the main Memorial hall - time very well spent, and a place I would recommend to others.

The Statue of Brothers represents 2 brothers, from opposite sides in the war, meeting on the battlefield.  The split in the wall represents the division of the two Koreas - a lot of the monuments have a theme of the hope for reunification.

In the Memorial Hall - a place of reflection on all the wars and the patriotism of the Korean people.


I thought this guy was the person who invented noraebang (Korean kareoke), but it turns out he's holding hand grenades!!!!!

The nations that came an fought with South Korea in the Korean War.  I learned that Australia was the 3rd to join SK, after the US and Britain.

They have a few rooms recognising all the nations that fought - very cool!

The ceiling in the centre of the Memorial Hall.

I have found, since moving to Korea, that I have become interested in the history of Korea, particularly the Korean War.  I'm endlessly fascinated with the stories I've heard of people who lived here at that time, and there are some amazing stories.  A lot of the stories I've heard are 2nd-hand, from the children of people who lived through the war, but they are still very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment